Southern Community Park is now open. Located southwest of Highway 15-501, it is the 11th and second largest park (after Cedar Falls Park), covering 72 acres with more half the land remaining in a natural state.
- More information about Southern Community Park’s features
The athletic fields are complete. However, in order to allow proper turf development, play will not be allowed until the fall of 2009. In addition, the natural surface trail along the western property line will have to be re-routed. The Town will sponsor a work day and ask volunteers to assist in re-locating the trail. This should occur in February.
The disk golf course is being built primarily with volunteer help. It may be several months before the entire course is open to the public. The contractor will provide additional seeding of grass areas in February or March. Plans call for the planting of hardwoods along the western property line south of Dogwood Acres Drive in order to increase the vegetative buffer.
The project is being funded by Orange County, Chapel Hill and a North Carolina Parks and Recreation Trust Fund grant.
The Council selected OBS Landscape Architects as the design firm and Hy Tech Construction to build the first phase of the project for $4.7 million. The first phase of construction will include all-season restrooms, three athletic/soccer fields, trails, two picnic shelters, two basketball courts, an inline hockey court, a play area, a dog park, a meadow area and two parking lots. A disk golf course will be added after the first phase of construction.
To access the play area, picnic facilities, basketball courts, inline hockey court, art components, soccer fields (future): As you drive south on 15-501 you can access the park by taking the first right after the Main Street entrance to Southern Village. This is a right-in, right out entrance. To return north to Chapel Hill you need to drive into the Main Street area and exit at the Southern Village light.
To access the dog park, meadow area, disk golf course (future): Continue south on 15-501 after the Main Street entrance to Southern Village and the first entrance to Southern Community Park. Continue to the traffic light at Dogwood Acres Drive. Turn right. The parking area is on the left.
Artists Laura Haddad and Tom Drugan produced the initial design concepts for the Southern Community Park Percent for Art Project utilizing on-site materials, including boulders and trees salvaged during park construction. Six art installations will link to the thematic elements of earth, air, water, fire, fauna and flora.
To receive monthly e-mail updates, see Contact Us.
- 01/17/2009 Southern Community Park Now Open
- 07/24/2008 Southern Community Park Nearing Completion
- 09/18/2007 Temporary Lane Closures
- 06/27/2007 Plant Rescue
- 05/23/2007 Groundbreaking for Southern Community Park
- 06/11/2007 Budget Amendment for Southern Community Park Project
- 06/12/2006 Traffic Calming Plan for Dogwood Acres Drive
- 05/07/2007 Acceptance of Bids for Southern Community Park Project
- 04/24/2006 Phasing Recommendations for Southern Community Park
- 04/24/2006 Manager’s Recommended Budget for 2006-2007 Fiscal Year
- 10/10/2005 Presentation on Art for Southern Community Park Percent for Art Project
- 05/09/2005 Southern Community Park Special Use Permit
- 04/11/2005 Proposed Phasing Plan for Southern Community Park
- 04/05/2005 Public Hearing on Southern Community Park Special Use Permit
- 06/21/2004 Concept Plan: Southern Community Park
- 03/03/2003 Process for Development of Southern Park
- 07/26/2002 Resolution to Adopt 2002-2017 Capital Improvements Program
- 07/05/2000 Southern Community Park Concept Plan
- Parks and Recreation Capital Projects Status, May 2007
- Recommended 2003-2018 Capital Improvements Program
- Manager’s Recommended 2002-2017 Capital Improvements Program
- Capital Improvements Program
- Greenways Master Plan
(919) 968-2787 ext. 214 or email@example.com